Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Assessment for Learning

As we near the end of this course and the end of my blogging on educational assessment, I will list the four characteristics of assessment for learning also know as formative assessment. Those of effective questioning, using marking and feedback strategies, sharing learning goals and peer and self assessment.
I reiterate the importance of ultisising assessment for learning as a means of teaching our students to learn. Finch A (2009) implied that in today's world where content knowledge is so easily attainable , what is important is, "learning to learn" . The 21st Century student needs to be self managing and able to learn for life. For this to happen we need to move a culture of effective assessment for learning into our classrooms. It involves:
  • sharing learning goals with pupils
  • helping pupils know and recognise the standards to aim for
  • providing feedback that helps pupils to identify how to improve
  • believing that every pupil can improve in comparison with previous achievements
  • both the teacher and pupils reviewing and reflecting on pupils' performance and progress
  • pupils learning self-assessment techniques to discover areas they need to improve
  • recognising that both motivation and self-esteem, crucial for effective learning and progress, can be increased bye effective assessment techniques

When sharing these points with colleagues I am often met with, "isn't that just good teaching?"

Yes it is. My challenge then is to gain their reflective thoughts. How far are they taking the strategies.

For example: recognising motivation and self-esteem needs of individual students, how does it happen?

For example: when tests are marked or constructive comments make, are students given the time to act on those comments?

I sense their is a never ending loop to this assessment for learning. Let me think on that on and I'll get back to you.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I so often feel like I'm reflecting to myself. Hence the face to face contact has so much more impact. (I read that somewhere on receiving feedback, will see if I can find the article)

CHEERS SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment